Winston-Salem’s Kids at Heart Series Brings Classics Back to the Big Screen
Judy Garland would have celebrated her birthday three days ago. While you and I are probably well acquainted with the movie legend and her dazzling red slippers, would your children be able to pick her out of a lineup?
Thanks to a/perture cinema’s ongoing Kids at Heart series, the answer will soon be YES for even more young ones in the Triad.
This summer, the Winston-Salem-based independent movie theater will continue with its kid-focused movie series, showcasing a wide array of classic, modern, and independent films for the young and young at heart. All films will be rated G or PG, and like a well-made Pixar movie, these picks will be enjoyed by everyone in your family. From The Muppets to Meet Me in St. Louis and a classic by beloved Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away), the series is a treat for parents looking to introduce their children to films beyond what’s currently being shown in major theaters.
To learn more about Kids at Heart, click here. Screening times include:
Fridays: 1:45 p.m. and 4 p.m. (1:45 p.m. is a sensory-friendly screening for parents/younger children; tickets cannot be purchased online, and seating is limited, so be sure to arrive early.)
Saturdays: 10 a.m.
Sundays: 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
The current film schedule includes:
- June 20-22: THE ADVENTURES OF MILO AND OTIS (rated G, 75 mins.)
- July 4-6: AN AMERICAN TAIL (rated G, 80 mins.)
- July 18-20: MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (rated G, 113 mins.)
- Aug. 1-3: LOONEY TUNES SHORTS (unrated)
- Aug. 15-17: MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO (rated G, 87 mins.)
- Aug. 29-31: KID FLIX MIX (NYIFF) (unrated, 57 mins., suggested ages 3-8)
- Sept. 12-14: MUPPETS FROM SPACE (rated G, 68 mins.)
- Sept. 26-28: THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER (rated G, 95 mins.)
- Oct. 10-12: BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED (rated PG, 80 mins.)
To read more about any of these movies, check out the Kids at Heart homepage! Even if you’re not in the Winston-Salem area, most of these picks are available for rent, on Netflix, etc. If you can’t make it to the theater, you might still find inspiration for your family’s next movie night.
Andrea Fisher is a Triad-based writer, movie lover, and content specialist for Dish2u. She has appeared in a variety of publications, including The Chicago Tribune and Business Insider. Read more of her work @andreafisher007.