– 3 cloves of chopped Garlic
– 1/2 chopped Onion
– 1/2 chopped Bell pepper (any color)
– 1 cup of chopped Mushrooms (shitake, maitake or any available)
– 3 cups of Tomato sauce, homemade or store bought
– 1/2 dozen eggs
– Dried basil or oregano, or any herbs of your choice
– Olive oil
– Sea salt and red pepper flakes
1. Heat oil in sauce pan on medium heat.
2. Add garlic and onion and cook until translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
3. Add mushroom and cook until soft and well-coated with oil, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Add bell pepper and continue to saute and cook, about another minute.
5. Season with some salt.
6. Add the tomato sauce and mix everything well. Let the sauce simmer with the vegetables for a minute.
7. Add dried basil or oregano or any herbs of your choice and stir well.
8. Take a whole egg, crack it and directly drop it in the sauce with the yolk. You can do this one by one with all the eggs. Make sure there is enough space in between eggs as you drop them, so that they can cook separately. It ends up being a circle of 5 eggs with 1 egg in the middle.
9. Reduce heat and cover sauce pan with lid.
10. Let cook on low heat for about 5 minutes until eggs are cooked.
11. Remove lid and sprinkle some salt, pepper and herbs on each one of the cooked eggs. Remove from heat.
You can pile this on a slice of whole grain bread to make a complete meal or eat it just as is. Pizza eggs can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Photo provided by Preeti Gundecha.
Preeti Gundecha is a busy mom, wife and health enthusiast who has learned the importance of proper health and nutrition while trying to heal from a severe illness. She is a certified wellness and lifestyle coach, and accredited through the American Association of Drugless practitioners. Learn more here.