Museum’s Curiosity Trail Offers Fresh Views, Chance at Prizes
Did you enjoy scavenger hunts as a child? Do your kids love to follow clues? Carolina Parent and the Museum of Life and Science — an interactive science park in Durham — invite you and your kids to explore the “Curiosity Trail” on the museum’s 84-acre campus Sept. 6-30. The trail offers a way to see the museum from new perspectives as you search for clues and solve puzzles, and you could win prizes.
Playing is Easy
- Visit the museum during normal business hours and pick up a participant card in the lobby. Learn more about museum admission here and the official rules here.
- Follow clues from one exhibit to the next and collect hole punches on your card along the way.
- Turn your completed cards in at the Elements Museum Store on the first floor of the museum's main building to be entered to win one of three prizes. The grand prize winner will receive a "year full of wonder;" quarterly packages, each consisting of a hands-on science kit from the museum's store; and a private family program at the museum. There will also be two runners up prizes. Learn more about those here.
Adam Kissick Photography, Museum of Life and Science
Trail 1 and Trail 2
The Curiosity Trail will feature two different trails, so you can opt to visit one or both. Trail 1 runs Sept. 6-18 and Trail 2 runs Sept. 20-30. Both trails have activities, puzzles, and clues designed for a range of ages. (Take your time. You can complete a trail over multiple visits and include different members of your family along the way.) If you explore both trails, you’ll earn two chances to win the grand prize. (Learn more about the grand prize package.)
Tips from the Museum Staff
- Wear comfortable shoes. These trails flow all over the museum campus through some of your favorite indoor and outdoor exhibits.
- Be prepared to look up, down and all around as you search for the answers to clues and remember to take a second look. As you explore the trails, keep an eye out for clues that contain special tips for ways you and your family can have even more “curious fun” during your visit.
- Take a camera or a smartphone to take pictures of the clues along the way so you remember them and also so you can share them on social media. (Use the hashtag #MLScuriositytrail for a chance to be featured on the Museum of Life and Science website and to be entered into a weekly drawing for a museum prize pack.)
ADAM KISSICK PHOTOGRAPHY, MUSEUM OF LIFE AND SCIENCE