Make Pool Safety a Priority
Did you know that 174 children under the age of 15 were reported as drowning from May through August of 2014? Ten of those drowning deaths occurred in North Carolina.
Here are some basic safety tips to prevent this tragedy:
– Never leave a child unattended in a pool or spa and always watch your child when he or she is in or near water.
– Teach your child basic water safety tips.
– Keep your child away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to prevent entrapments.
– Keep a telephone close by when you or your family is using a pool or spa.
– If your child is missing, look for him or her in the pool or spa first.
– Share these safety instructions with family, friends and neighbors.
For more information, go to poolsafely.gov.
Katherine Kopp is a freelance writer and editor in Chapel Hill.