Labor Day Weekend: 8 Things to Do in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill
This Labor Day weekend, Triangle venues invite you to head out to an African-American festival, a food truck rodeo, outdoor pops concert, “First Friday” art fun and more. Many events are free.
1. Start your weekend off at Oak View County Park in Raleigh, where staff will be placing lures 5:30-9:30 p.m. Sept. 2 for fans of Pokémon GO to play. Admission is free. If your kids are heading out alone, encourage them to read these common sense rules for Pokemon Go.
2. Head out for “First Friday” festivities, downtown Raleigh’s monthly arts festival, when galleries, museums and other venues stay open late to welcome visitors. Get a sneak peek of the “Selma to Montgomery: A March for the Right to Vote: Photographs by Spider Martin” traveling exhibit 5-9 p.m., Sept. 2 at the North Carolina Museum of History. Or catch the exhibit, when it officially opens Saturday, Sept. 3. Admission is free.
3. Celebrate African-American culture and history with an art gallery walk, music, dance, food, kids' activities and more Sept. 3-4 at the African American Cultural Festival of Raleigh and Wake County in downtown Raleigh. Learn more. Admission is free.
4. Enjoy a food truck rodeo featuring live music from Counterclockwise String Band, noon-4 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 4, at Durham Central Park in Durham. Learn more. Admission is free.
5. Escape to the theater with your kids to see Paperhand Puppet Intervention's “The Beautiful Beast” at Forest Theatre in Chapel Hill. Learn more about ticket prices and the show.
THE WUMPAFLUMP A CREATURE FROM THE "BOOK OF BEASTS" Courtesy of Paperhand Puppet Intervention
6. Foster a love of the outdoors in your children by heading out to a nature program. Search our Daily Calendar to find one that interests your child.
7. Enjoy Duke Symphony Orchestra’s outdoor pops concert starting at 6 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 4, in Durham. Learn more. Admission is free. Find more free outdoor concerts offered into the fall in our roundup of Triangle outdoor concert series.
8. Experience the magic of Cirque Italia, a traveling water circus, where you can watch a contortionist, aerial divers, jugglers and more this weekend. For details, including ticket prices, visit cirqueitalia.com/tickets.
Photo courtesy of Cirque Italia
UPDATE: THIS "GET WILD! NATIONAL WILDLIFE DAY" EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED: Get to know local wildlife 10 a.m.-noon, Sunday, Sept. 4, at the Horton Grove Nature Preserve in Bahama, N.C. Admission is free to the event (for ages 4 and older) celebrating National Wildlife Day.