Free and Low-Cost Bowling Deals in the Triangle: 2021
These three free and low-cost bowling programs around the Triangle bypass inevitable cries of summer boredom
For cool fun when temperatures soar outside or on a rainy summer day, you can’t beat bowling. Bowling also gives kids confidence because it’s a sport where everyone gets a chance to play. If you’re looking for deals on kids activities this summer, you’ll find three free or low-cost bowling programs that you can take advantage of right here in the Triangle.
Kids Bowl Free Program
Kids Bowl Free is a free summer bowling program for kids. Registered kids receive two free games of bowling each day of the Kids Bowl Free program all summer long, courtesy of the participating bowling centers, and the schools and organizations associated with it. This program is designed by bowling centers to give back to the community and provide a safe, secure and fun way for kids to spend their time this summer. First find the bowling center closest to you and then register. Times available and age requirements vary by center. All participants must wear bowling shoes (rental shoes available).
Raleigh Buffaloe Lanes
5900 Oak Forest Dr, Raleigh
North Stars and Strikes (Raleigh)
4020 Capital Blvd, Raleigh
Strike and Barrel
413 S Brooks St, Wake Forest
B & B Bowling Lanes
3003 Fort Bragg Rd., Fayetteville
Rainbow Lanes Family Fun Ctr
850 NC Highway 42 W, Clayton
330 N. Hardee St., Durham
The Mardi Gras Bowling Center
6118 Farrington Rd., Chapel Hill
AMF Bowling Summer Games
AMF Bowling also offers a summer bowling program. AMF Summer Games lets kids and adults bowl three free games every day, through Sept. 6, 2021 but there’s a small cost. Purchase your Summer Games season pass and bowl 3 games every day at your preferred center. Your pass pays for itself in 3 visits or less and includes shoe rental. Passholders also get access to special offers.
AMF Pleasant Valley Lanes
5501 Commercial Ave., Raleigh
AMF South Hills Lanes
301 Nottingham Dr., Cary
AMF Durham Lanes
4508 Durham-chapel Hill Blvd., Durham
Buffaloe Lanes Family Bowling Centers
Buffaloe Lanes has different deals for kids, depending on the location.
Buffaloe Lanes South lets them receive one free game of bowling every day May 1-Oct. 31. Other benefits for cardholders:
- Mondays: $2 shoe rental
- Tuesdays: Free additional game
- Wednesdays: Free small drink
- Thursdays: Free cookie
- Fridays: Arcade credits
Buffaloe Lanes South (Garner)
6701 Fayetteville Rd., Raleigh
For Buffaloe Lanes Cary: The Summer Kids Club lets kids register in-center to enjoy an hour of bowling at half price every day through July 31. Other benefits: On Mondays, you get a free kids drink; Wednesdays, free arcade credits, and Fridays, a free cookie.
Buffaloe Lanes Cary
151 High House Road, Cary
Kids Bowl Free’s Darin Spindler’s Tips for Improving Your Bowling Game:
- Choosing your ball: It’s not the size of the ball in weight that gets strikes — it’s the bowler. Using a ball that’s too heavy can cause injury. As a basic rule, a 12-pound ball works for most beginners unless they are children.
- Holding your ball: Put your pointer and pinky finger on outside the outside of the ball, your middle and ring finger in the holes and thumb in the thumb hole. Hold the ball as though you’re holding an open book, aligned with your guiding hand shoulder.
- Figure out how many steps you need to take before you release the ball. Everyone is different and the ball speed will vary depending on how many steps you take. Finding the delivery that feels most comfortable for you is best.
- Release the ball only after it has passed over your left foot (for righties). By only releasing the ball when it passes over your left foot, you have better aim at your target. If it feels awkward, you’re doing it right.
- Have fun! That’s what bowling is all about. The best part about one of America’s favorite past times? Everyone gets to play. Nobody “rides the bench” in this sport!