February is Children’s Dental Health Month
Establish good habits now for a lifetime of good dental health
February is National Children’s Dental Health Month, which aims to promote the benefits of good oral health to children, their caregivers, teachers and many others. It’s never too early to start strong with oral hygiene!
The Poe Center in Raleigh is hosting its annual Terrific Teeth Day virtually this year, Feb. 6, 10 a.m.-noon. Preregister by Feb. 3 to pick up a complimentary event kit including a toothbrush, activity sheets, snack ingredients, craft supplies and more. The online event has a fun schedule of activities like a magic show, tooth fairy pillow craft, a read-along, a virtual tour of a dentist’s office, dental care demos with Mr. Big Mouth and information about nutrition. This virtual event is geared toward kids in pre-K through 3rd grade and their families.
Try These Tips
Dr. Meenal Patel of Preston Dental Loft in Cary has a few insights and tips for both parents and kids to help develop healthy teeth habits, including:
- Make Brushing Fun
- The American Dental Association recommends a full two minutes for teeth brushing. Try passing the time by singing a song to use as a timer. There are musical toothbrushes available to make things extra fun!
- Have your little one choose a toothbrush perfectly suited for them with their favorite color, superhero or other character.
- Choose Healthy Snacks
- Not all snacks are created equal. High-sugar drinks and snacks are often acidic. Acid can break down the enamel on teeth and lower the pH level in mouths. This triggers bad bacteria and expedites tooth decay. Try swapping the juice box with fruit-infused or plain water.
- Begin Professional Care Early
- The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that a child go to the dentist by age 1 or within six months after the first tooth erupts. A visit may include a full exam of the teeth, jaw, bite, gums and oral tissues to check growth and development.
Check out these American Dental Association®️ printable activity pages in English or Spanish with coloring pages, mazes, habit trackers and more. And finally, view our age by age guide to encourage better dental health at any stage of development.