Carolina Parent's Biggest Hits of 2017
Our top online articles and social media posts from the last year
As each year comes to a close, we like to look back at our "greatest hits" — online articles that received the most unique pageviews and social media posts that made the biggest splash with our audience. Here's what made the cut for 2017 in terms of online articles (beginning below and continuing on page 2), Facebook posts, Twitter posts and Instagram posts.
(Stats reported reflect accumulations up to Dec. 14, 2017.)
Top 10 CarolinaParent.com Articles of 2017
1. Vacation Ideas: 17 Places to See With Kids in North Carolina – 235,480 unique pageviews
2. 25 Fun Summer Things to Do With Kids for Free (or Less Than $5) – 134,133 unique pageviews
3. Boy or Girl? Gender-Guessing Myths and Facts – 47,560 unique pageviews
4. Pumpkin Patches, Hayrides, Corn Mazes, Halloween and Trick-or-Treat Events – 36,099 unique pageviews
5. Cool Water Fun Places in the Triangle – 33,261 pageviews
Up next, articles 6-10.
6. Which Carolina Beach is Best for Your Family? – 20,915 unique pageviews
7. 17 Hidden Gems for Triangle Families to Discover – 21,521 unique pageviews
8. NC By Train and Amtrak Offer Summer $5 Kids Ride Deal – 21,354 unique pageviews
9. 2017 Holiday Events: Santa Visits, Christmas Tree Lightings, Sleigh Rides, Parades, Festivals – 19,681 unique
10. Volunteer and Community Service Opportunities in the Triangle – 18,965 unique pageviews
Up next, the top 10 Carolina Parent Facebook posts of 2017.
The Top 10 Carolina Parent Facebook Posts of 2017
(Measured by number of people who saw each post.)
1. It's back! NC By Train and Amtrak offer $5 train rides for kids ages 2-12 June 1-Aug. 31 to 12 destinations in North Carolina. (38,062 people reached; 1,290 reactions, comments and shares)
2. Take a walk on Hillsborough’s Riverwalk and discover the magic of “A Sight to Behold,” a unique stick sculpture designed by Patrick Dougherty. (23,287 people reached; 709 reactions, comments and shares)
3. It's a great day to discover the secret Neuse River sunflower fields in Raleigh! Here's how to find them. (23,037 people reached; 875 reactions, comments and shares)
4. Teach your children well. (15,695 people reached; 193 reactions, comments and shares)
5. Hey, we should hang out sometime. (14,562 people reached; 359 reactions, comments and shares)
6. This deluge of water looks perfect on this hot summer day. Check out #8 in our round-up of 25 Fun Summer Things to Do With Kids for Free (or Less Than $5. (10,929 people reached; 79 reactions, comments and shares)
7. Tickets for the popular Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department's Holiday Express event at Pullen Park in December go on sale a week from today. This event always sells out! 🎄 Here are the "Holly Jolly" details. (9,343 people reached; 126 reactions, comments and shares)
8. Stop by the Museum of Life and Science on Monday as the museum celebrates Watermelon Day! Watch as black bears swim for melons, lemurs sample melon "pops” and more. 🍉 The juicy details. (8,570 people reached; 3 likes, comments and shares)
9. A grand opening with a charitable angle: Proceeds from tomorrow's Children's Lighthouse's celebration will directly benefit The Mouse Dreams Foundation, a local nonprofit organization that helps bring magic to the lives of children dealing with long-term illness by sending them on an all-expenses-paid trip to Walt Disney World. (8,492 people reached; 6 likes, comments and shares)
10. Follow the yellow brick road and join Dorothy and friends this fall at the Land of Oz. Tickets for this unique 3-day event are on sale now. (6,541 people reached; 10 likes, comments and shares)
Up next, the top 10 Carolina Parent Twitter posts of 2017.
The Top 10 Carolina Parent Twitter Posts of 2017
(Measured by impressions, or the total number of views of a conversation.)
1. @durhammag this is fascinating: "Remember to "walk like a penguin" on ice and snow!" (34,682 impressions)
2. The best nightcap. (5,264 impressions)
3. Here's how to donate diapers to #HurricaneHarvey babies in need (3,852 impressions)
3. Outdoor festivals plus the opening of an exhibition on race at @naturalsciences (2,680 impressions)
4. Tweetsie Railroad's delightfully frightful Ghost Train will be rolling into the station this fall. (2,526 impressions)
5. 6 Sensory Fun Activities in the Triangle (2,296 impressions)
6. Mark your calendars for Nov. 7, when tickets go on sale for the @lifescience 40th annual Santa Train! (2,107 impressions)
7. New! The @DukeLemurCenter offers a Little Lemurs tour specifically designed for children ages 8 and younger. (2,098 impressions)
8. Fun outings with kids in colder weather (2,049 impressions)
9. The #GotToBeNC Festival, a family-friendly celebration of agriculture, food & fun, returns to @NCStateFair May 19-21 (2,040 impressions)
10. Wright Brothers' Flyer on Display in Raleigh (2,018 impressions)
Up next, the top 10 (OK, 12 actually) Instagram posts of 2017.
The Top 12 Carolina Parent Instagram Posts of 2017
All posts were taken from 2017 archives.