Author: C.C. Malloy

Have You Called the Department of Disabilities Yet?

Many times, parents sign their kids up for school, meet with the special education department, then head straight to the supply store and wait for the first day of school. That's a good start, but if you have a child with a disability, you also might want to make a call to the local Department of Disability in your county.

What Happens After Graduation?

Whether it involves college or vocational school, employment, or group or independent housing, helping your special needs child make plans for the future is an ongoing process that requires attention, direction and patience.

Want a College Tour? There's Still Time!

Summertime for teenagers is about movies, swimming, and of course, sleeping late. For rising juniors and seniors, it is also about visiting and touring colleges and making transition plans for after graduation.College tour reservationsThere are quite a few colleges in…

When Special Is Not Really Special

There I've said it; our kids are not "special." I mean that in a good way. Of course our children are special, but once they are out in the working world, our hopes are that they will use the skills…

Teaching Life Skills One Day at a Time

In our hearts, we want to help our child, but our minds are thinking we must help. Is that so bad? Of course not! We're parents; it is our job to give our kids support and encouragement. We want what's…