5 Must-Haves for Every Mom’s Closet
Every mom should have a few “go-to,” “make-me-look-good” items in her closet. Here are five simple pieces you can use to update your look. They will become staples in your closet and can be used to spruce up other pieces to present a different ensemble each time you wear them.
1. The quintessential maxi dress. Every woman should own one, two or even three maxi dresses. They are comfortable, forgiving and can be dressed down or up. Wear them with wedges or flip flops for a casual look, or add heels and dangly earrings for a night out on the town.
2. Black and white prints. This year, fashion runways and trade shows overflowed with black-and-white combinations for spring, summer and fall. A little black dress is still a fashion necessity, but more women are choosing dresses with black-and-white prints or patterns. It’s all the rage and presents a kaleidoscope effect for the eye while offering a sleek, chic and figure-flattering look.
3. A colorful scarf. Brighten up drab mornings or take the pressure off dark under-eye circles with a colorful scarf. Scarves with bright prints brilliantly dress up jeans and a T-shirt or a simple white or gray sheath dress. Further simplify your look by pulling your hair back and applying bright pink or coral lipstick.
4. Statement jewelry. Busy moms are lucky to get a few undisturbed minutes to change and put on makeup, let alone select matching jewelry. Simplify the selection process by purchasing a few pieces of statement jewelry in basic black, white and brown. Mix in brighter colors, too. When you wear a statement necklace, don’t pair large earrings with it — and vice versa. Let only one item be the focus of attention. Statement jewelry matches any outfit and is easy to grab and put on when you are dressing in a rush.
5. A pair of high heels. Yes, you read that right! Every woman, including busy moms, should own a couple of pairs of high heels. Find some that are comfortable so you’ll enjoy wearing them out. You’ll feel taller, leaner and sexier.
Zankhna Parekh is a Triangle-based fashion designer of haute couture and ready-to-wear pieces. See her collection at zankhna.com.
Photos courtesy of Zankhna Parekh and Marie Killen Photography.