10 Fun Things to Do With Kids This Weekend
Birthday celebrations make this a weekend to explore the national parks and head to the Town of Cary’s Lazy Daze Festival. Enjoy Caribbean style festivities, sci-fi fun and art being created before your eyes at community events.
1. Head to the Town of Cary’s Lazy Daze Festival Saturday, Aug. 27, and Sunday, Aug. 28, to browse arts and crafts, enjoy festival foods, explore a Kids' World area and listen to live music. This year, the festival expands from one day to two to mark its 40th anniversary. Learn more.
Photo courtesy of Town of Cary
2. Celebrate the 100th anniversary of the National Parks Service by heading to a park and enjoying free admission Aug. 25-28 during “National Park Service Birthday Weekend.” Learn more. (The National Park Service turns 100 on Aug. 25.) Find your park here.
Photo of Bodie Island LightHouse courtesy of VisitNC.Com
3. Join in the fun at the CaribMask Caribbean Carnival in downtown Raleigh, Saturday, Aug. 27. Watch a parade of masqueraders, sample Caribbean cuisine, and shop arts and craft vendors. Admission is free. Visit caribmask.com for details.
4. Check out the North Carolina Museum of Natural Science’s new “Final Fridays” program Aug. 26, for a chance to watch a sci-fi movie, listen to an expert and take part in hands-on science stations. Doors open at 6 p.m., and movies and presentations begin at 7 p.m. in the downtown Raleigh museum. Admission is $5 per person. For more information or to buy tickets, visit naturalsciences.org/finalfridays.
5. Watch art come alive at the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh “Monster Drawing Rally” starting at 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 26. The live drawing event and fundraiser will feature 73 artists drawing in hour-long shifts, then selling their work immediately for $50 each. The event includes food trucks, a public art-making activity, a children’s drawing area, local beer and more. Admission is free for museum members and children under age 6, and $5 for nonmembers. Learn more.
Illustration Courtesy of the North Carolina Museum of Art.
6. Escape to the theater with your kids to see Paperhand Puppet Intervention's “The Beautiful Beast” at Forest Theatre in Chapel Hill. Learn more.
THE WUMPAFLUMP A CREATURE FROM THE "BOOK OF BEASTS"
7. Take your children to experience a nature program. Search our Daily Calendar to find one that interests your child.
8. Watch a movie under the stars with your family. Browse our roundup of Triangle summer movie deals to find a show near you.
9. Soak in beautiful sounds at a free outdoor concert. Pack a picnic and make it a delicious evening, as well. Browse our roundup of Triangle concert series.
10. Explore North Carolina by train while this summer $5 deal lasts. Through an agreement with Amtrak, NC By Train is offering a summer 2016 deal where kids ages 2-12 can ride for $5 to any destination in North Carolina on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (blackouts may apply). Learn more.
More Summer Fun
Get more ideas for fun in our roundup of 25 Summer Things to Do With Kids for Free or Under $5.