Farmers Markets Grow in the Triangle
Date: June 1, 2014
Add some fresh, local produce to your family's menu by dropping by an area farmers market. Some are open year-round, but most operate seasonally or with seasonal hours. Find one near you to purchase farm-fresh treats for your family.
Apex Farmers Market (closed)
Carrboro Farmers Market
301 W. Main St.
Open year-round on Saturdays, 7 a.m.-noon, Wednesdays from 3:00-6:00 p.m.
- Offers fruits, veggies, meat, fish, poultry, cheeses, eggs, flowers, plants, specialty items including grain products, pastries, wines, and honey, as well as handmade crafts. No dogs, please.
Cary Downtown Farmers Market
New location- 135 W. Chatham St., Cary, 27511
Open April through November, Tuesdays 2 p.m.-6p.m. and Saturdays 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Features a wide variety of vendors selling soaps and body products, bakery products, fruits, vegetables, coffee, dairy products, dog treats, herbs, candles, beer, wine, meats, eggs, pottery, and more. Please keep well-behaved dogs on a short leash.
Western Wake Farmers Market
Carpenter Village on Morrisville Carpenter Road
Open year-round on Saturdays, 8 a.m.-noon during April-November; 9:30 a.m-noon, during December-March
- Find bakery products, grain mixes, fruits, vegetables, herbs, flowers, farm-to-table restaurants, bitters and soda flavors, pottery, gluten-free products, dog treats, cheese, ice cream, poultry, eggs, meats, seafood, gifts, tea and coffee, baskets, jams, nuts, and more.
Chapel Hill Farmers Market
201 S. Estes Dr. -- New location: opposite corner of the parking lot of University Mall, next to Wells Fargo.
Open Saturdays 8 am.m to noon and Tuesdays 3 p.m. to 6 p.m..
- Shop for fruits, vegetables, cakes and confections, beef, poultry, eggs, quilting and fleece products, coffee, lamb, goat, cut flowers, herbs, sewn and embroidered products, music, cheese, seafood, beer, jams, mushrooms, and more.
Southern Village Farmers Market
600 Market St. Chapel Hill, 27516
Open May 1-Sept. 18, every Thursday, 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- This farmers market offers fruits and veggies, jams and jellies, fish, eggs, pastries, and more.
Clayton Farmers Market
348 E. Main St., Clayton, 27528; Horne Square
Open April through October on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Winter hours are Saturdays 10 a.m. until 1 p.m.
- Offers baskets, candy, honey, meat, poultry, eggs, soaps, fruits and vegetables, cakes and confections, handmade accessories, bakery products, tea, herbs, toys, and more!
Durham Farmers Market
Pavilion at Durham Central Park, 501 Foster St.
Open year-round on Saturdays, 8 a.m.-noon and Wednesdays 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Winter hours are Saturdays 10 a.m. to noon.
Please leave pets at home.
- Vendors offer a variety of products including fruits and vegetables, wines, jellies and other preserves, greeting cards, photography, flowers, house plants, dairy and cheese products, meat products, breads and related products, baked goods, nut butters, eggs, popcorn and candy, coffee and tea, dog treats, craft beer, honey, candles, crafts, gluten-free products, ice cream, soaps, and more!
South Durham Farmers Market
Greenwood Commons Shopping Center, 5410 NC 55
Summer hours are from 8:00 a.m. to noon on Saturdays and Wednesday afternoons 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- Features trees and landscaping plants, fruits and vegetables, beef, pork, lamb,poultry, honey, eggs, soaps and cleaners, dog treats, cut flowers, herbs, pasta, vermiculture products, bakery items, pickled and jellied items, tobacco, candles, skin care, and fragrance products, and more.
The Growers Market of Fuquay-Varina
Centennial Square at the corner of N. Main Street and E. Academy St.
Open 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Saturdays and 3-6 p.m. on Wednesdays.
- Find preserves, mustard, fruits and vegetables, baskets, soaps, seafood, and more!
Eno River Farmers' Market
144 E. Margaret Lane, Downtown Hillsborough at the Farmers Market Pavilion
Open April-October on Saturdays, 8 a.m.-noon; and November-March on Saturdays, 10 a.m.-noon.
- Offers farm fresh produce, cheese, meat, eggs, baked goods, prepared foods, and crafts from local growers and producers. Dog-frendly market hour is 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. every Saturday!
Hillsborough Farmers Market
Home Depot parking lot, N.C. 86 and I-85 (exit 165)
Summer hours are Saturdays 8 a.m. to noon.
- Find cheese, meat, eggs, birdhouses, woodworking, furniture, crafts, fruits and vegetables, herbs, ornamental plants, oils and soaps, baked goods including gluten-free options, seelings, flowers, canned and pickled foods, composting bins, rain barrels, and much more!
Holly Springs Farmers Market
128 S. Main Street
Open May-October on Saturdays, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Offers fruits and vegetables, chicken, pork, beef, eggs, mushrooms, ice cream, cheese, pastas, lemonade, gluten free goods, coffee, sauces, baked goods, popcorn, nuts, honey, cut flowers, potted and landscaping plants, soaps, jewelry, and more!
Franklin County Farmers Market
Shannon Village Shopping Center, off Hwy. on 401 N./Bickett Blvd.
Tuesday and Friday from 10 a.m. until sold out and Saturday from 8 a.m. until sold out.
- Products offered are fruits and vegetables, canned and baked goods, soaps, bath salts, herb pillows, hand bags, and herbed plants, among others.
Chatham Mills Farmers Market
480 Hillsboro St.
Open Saturdays, 8 a.m. 1 p.m from April to October, and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. November to January.
- Find cut flowers, fruits and vegetables, rabbit, beef, goat, lamb,chicken, pork, eggs, dairy, dog treats, wallets, baked goods, jams and other preserves, sauces, herbs, mushrooms, soaps and lotions, th products of several guest vendors, and much more.
The Farmers Market at Fearrington
Fearrington Village off 15/501 halfway between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro.
Open April 1-November 25 on Tuesdays, 4-6 p.m.
- Features fruits and vegetables, pizza made from local ingredients, meats, eggs, flowers, canned and baked goods, and more.
Midtown Farmers' Market
The Commons at North Hills
4321 Lassiter at North Hills Avenue
Open April19 -November 1, Saturdays, 8 a.m.-noon.
- Find fruits and vegetables, soaps and bath products, baked goods, crafts, herbs, jewelry, frozen pops, meat, eggs, sweets, dog treats, flowers and houseplants, coffee, baked products, cheese, clothing, and much more.
N.C. State Farmers Market
1201 Agriculture St.
Open year-round, Monday-Saturday, 5 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sun. 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Features restaurants and vendors of architectural elements, a wide variety of produce, plants, meats, cheeses, crafts, bakery items, custom picture framing, a market grill, N.C. wines, and specialty shops with old-fashioned candles, N.C. gifts, soap, and lotions.
N.C. State University Farmers Market
N.C. State University's Brickyard (behind the D.H. Hill Library)
Open February-April on Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- A completely-student run market; vendors sell produce, jewelry, cookies, and NumNum Sauce.
Raleigh City Farmers Market
Historic City Market; 214 E. Martin Street
Open Wednesdays from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Offers live music, art vending, culinary and DIY demos, and sells local produce.
Raleigh Downtown Farmers Market
City Plaza, 400 Fayetteville St.
Open May 7-Nov. 5 on Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Vendors offer fruits and vegetables, bakery items, cut flowers, preserves, dog treats and accessories, sweets, poultry, meats, ice cream, coffee, pasta, mushrooms, cheese, cookies, herbs, peanuts, honey, and much more.
The Saturday Market @ Rebus Works
301-2 Kinsey St.
Open Saturdays 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. year round!
- The market brings together farmers, bakers, craftspeople, designers, coffee carts, food trucks, and brewers together.
Wake Forest Farmers Market
In the parking lot of OneCare Inc. and behind the CVS Pharmacy at 150 N. White St.
Open 8 a.m. to noon every Saturday from April to November (See website for winter hours)
- Find knitted goods, flowers, produce, chicken and duck eggs, meat, mushrooms, honey, soap, furniture, cheese, gluten-free baked goods, seafood, pastas and sauces, hair accessories, garden sculptures and planters, candles, baskets, jams, and more.
Wendell Farmers Market
3700 Wendell Blvd, 27591
Open Saturdays April 13-Oct. 26
www.wendellfarmersmarket.org or on Facebook
- Features jams, jellies, breads, honey, eggs, fruits and vegetables, pottery, and crafts.
For more listings, visit www.ncfarmfresh.com/farmmarkets.asp
If you know about a farmers market in the Triangle area that we missed, please send it to email@example.com with Farmers Market in the subject line, and we'll add it to our online list.
This listing was created March 1, 2013, by Megan Finke, Editorial Intern at Carolina Parent, and updated June 25, 2014, by Carolyn Caggia, Editorial Intern at Carolina Parent.