Weekend Fun: Hands-on Birthday Party, Outdoor Movies, Live Theater
The Magic Wings Butterfly House will be among the venues open during the Museum of Life and Science's 70th birthday party.
Photo courtesy of Adam Kissick Photography/Museum of Life and Science in Durham
Don't miss out on the fun this weekend as the Museum of Life and Science kicks off its 70th birthday party celebration, "Science at Sunset!" Also, enjoy outdoor movies, live theater and more.
1. Celebrate the Museum of Life and Science’s 70th birthday during its "Science at Sunset" event, featuring live music from the Bulltown Strutters, food truck fare, outdoor play and a kids' craft, 5-8 p.m., Friday, Aug. 12. The "Science at Sunset: Birthday Celebration" will offer visitors a chance to explore the museum's outdoor exhibits. Enjoy the beauty of the "Magic Wings Butterfly House," dig for fossils along the "Dinosaur Trail," climb treehouses in "Hideaway Woods," cool down at "Into the Mist" and more. Be sure to stop by Carolina Parent's table to pick up our latest issue and meet some of our staff. The main building will be closed. Tickets are $7 per person and only available the day of the event (kids ages 2 and younger will be admitted for free). Learn more.
Photo of the Dinosaur Trail courtesy of Adam Kissick Photography/Museum of Life and Science in Durham
2. Soak in Paperhand Puppet Intervention’s “The Beautiful Beast” this weekend in Chapel Hill. The show at the Forest Theatre’s outdoor amphitheater puts a spotlight on monsters and beasts that inhabit our dreams and folktales. Learn more about the show and why it holds appeal for young and old.
Photo of THE WUMPAFLUMP A CREATURE FROM THE "BOOK OF BEASTS" courtesy of Paperhand Puppet Intervention
3. Watch the Durham Bulls play and enjoy post-game fireworks (weather permitting) at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park Friday, Aug. 12, and Saturday, Aug. 13. Learn more.
Photo courtesy of the Durham Bulls Baseball Club
4. Enjoy a free Family Fun Day, a pet-friendly event that features children’s activities, music, games, raffle prizes and giveaways, 2-6 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 13, in Chapel Hill's Meadowmont Village. Learn more.
5. Head out to enjoy Alfred Hitchcock’s classic thriller, “North by Northwest” outdoors on a big screen at North Carolina Museum of Art’s museum park theater, 9 p.m., Friday, Aug. 12. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. Learn more.
6. Savor a free family movie under the stars, 8:30-10:30 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 12, at E. Carroll Joyner Park in Wake Forest. Learn more.
7. Head to Raleigh Little Theatre’s Louise “Scottie” Stephenson Amphitheatre in Raleigh 1-9 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 12, for "Groove in the Garden." Enjoy live music, visit local vendors, beer and food trucks, and a kids area featuring face painting, arts and crafts, large bubbles and more. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. Learn more.
8. Return to Raleigh Little Theatre’s Louise “Scottie” Stephenson Amphitheatre on Sunday, Aug. 13, for a free showing of the movie “Grease” (PG-13). Enjoy preshow activities. Doors open at 8 p.m. Learn more.
9. Take your kids to view our state’s copies of the 19th and 26th Amendments on loan from the State Archives of North Carolina at the State Capitol in downtown Raleigh Aug. 12-25. Learn more.
10. Learn about the world of adaptive sports, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Friday, Aug. 12, when wheelchair basketball takes over PNC Arena in Raleigh. The Bridge II Sports wheelchair basketball fundraiser teams up corporate and community teams with all-star athletes to compete in the all-day tournament. The event is free and open for spectating. Parking is free in the 5000 lot.