Staying Motivated During the Fit Family Challenge
Photo courtesy of Evgeny Atamanenko/Shutterstock.com
With the Fit Family Challenge well underway, you may find yourself lacking some of the motivation you had when you first started paying attention to your family health and fitness progress. When you start something new, the excitement can keep you extra motivated to reach your goals, but as the newness wears off, you may start to lose some of that drive. If you find yourself in a rut or you are backsliding a bit here are some tips to keep you motivated and on track throughout the rest of the challenge.
- Know your goals. Make sure to have clear goals so you know what you are working towards. Do you want to work out more, eat healthier, or spend more active time with your family? Whatever it is, be clear on exactly what you want. If you don’t know what you are striving to attain, how do you know when you get there and how do you know what direction to go? Check back in with those goals regularly to see how you are progressing and to re-evaluate and reset as needed.
- Know what motivates you. Are you self motivated, do external things motivate you, or are you motivated by something else entirely? Knowing how you stay motivated will lead you down the path to creating success. You can reward yourself along the way and keep things fun and interesting so you don’t get bored.
- Surround yourself with motivating people. The people you surround yourself with can impact how well you do with your goals. Do you have people in your corner cheering for you and pushing you to be your best? Those around you can bring you up or push you down, so be conscious of who is in your corner. Find a motivating friend, an enthusiastic instructor at the gym, or partner with your spouse or kids to stay positive and motivating for each other.
- Give yourself credit for what you accomplish. When you take steps towards your goal, give yourself credit for what you have done. Keep striving for improvement and know the path can have ups and downs and many turns, but enjoy the process and progress you are making.
- Find something you love. Whether it is exercise or a healthy snack, find something you enjoy, and it will help with the struggle. Is there an activity that gets you moving that you love to do? Dancing, gardening, walking, hiking or yoga? Those all keep you active and if you enjoy it, it does not feel like exercise. Is there a fruit or vegetable you love that you can incorporate into your diet and it feels like a treat? Avocado, watermelon, carrots, almonds, apples, etc.? Enjoy these healthy and good-for-you snacks. You can find enjoyment in a healthy lifestyle if you look for the little joys.
- Count your blessings Appreciate the ability you have to exercise and keep moving. It is easy to say, “I have to walk today” or “I have to exercise” but can you change that to “I get to walk today” or “I get to exercise”? It really is a privilege to have a body that allows you to move so be thankful for exactly where you are. What a blessing for all we get to do each day!
Staying motivated and on track for any goal/goals can be a challenge, so be clear on why you are doing things and what motivates you to be most successful. By getting to know yourself and incorporating parts of you into your goal process, you can find ultimate success in anything you attempt.
Enjoy the journey!
Gaye Esser is a Life Coach and owner of Redefine Balance. She is a certified graduate of Coach U and a Level II Reiki practitioner. She works with women to find their passion and bliss and to own their happiness from the inside out.