School Registration Dates and MLK Jr. Holiday
Mark your calendars for these upcoming school registration dates and opportunities to celebrate the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
Local School Systems Gear Up for 2017-18 Registration
With the first half of the 2016-17 school year wrapping up, school systems are preparing to register students for kindergarten and application/choice programs for 2017-18. Here are some upcoming dates for families in Wake and Durham counties. We’ll post details from other local school systems as they become available.
- Many schools will hold open house events in January and February to introduce their programs, staff and facilities to interested Wake County families.
- Kindergarten enrollment kicked off Jan. 5 and will continue throughout the spring and summer. Information and enrollment materials are available online as well as in schools’ front offices. (If you're interested in registering your rising kindergartner for a magnet program or alternate calendar option, see the dates below.)
- The magnet school application period is Jan. 12-31, with a few more parent information sessions scheduled this week and next. A magnet mini-fair will be held at its rescheduled time/date of 9:30-11 a.m., Jan. 12, at Green Magnet Elementary School.
- The transfer request period is Feb. 22-28. This is also the process for families who would like to change their calendar option (traditional or year-round) from their base school assignment.
- Tours of all DPS schools are available to interested families. Contact the school directly to schedule your visit.
- A system-wide “Welcome to Kindergarten” Information Night will be held at Riverside High School, 5:30 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 12. Kindergarten registration begins March 1. Additional information about the registration process is available online.
- The magnet school application period is Jan. 9-31. Year-round calendar options are among the many program choices offered at magnet schools. Tours of many magnet schools are still available.
- The transfer request period, which includes calendar changes in nonmagnet schools, runs March 1-May 1.
Photo courtesy of Kokoulina/Shutterstock.com
Commemorate the MLK Jr. Holiday
Monday, Jan. 16, marks the federal Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. Here are some earlier posts showcasing special events and volunteer opportunities for families looking to celebrate King’s legacy.