Morris Media Network Writers' Guidelines
Photo courtesy of Undrey/Shutterstock.com
The following guidelines apply to content written for Carolina Parent magazine, CarolinaParent.com and WhereTraveler.com.
Carolina Parent is a monthly parenting magazine with a Triangle-wide print circulation of 35,000 in Wake, Durham and Orange counties in North Carolina. Issues typically reflect a theme, and include regular features and columns. Our audience consists of parents, teachers, child care providers and other advocates for newborns through teenagers.
WhereTraveler.com/Raleigh-Durham offers travelers to the Triangle everything they need to know from a local perspective. The website features dynamic content created by local editors covering the region’s dining, shopping, attractions, entertainment options and more.
- Submissions from freelance writers are welcome and should be exclusive within our region.
- Reprints of articles from publications outside our region are also considered.
- Features require thorough research, knowledge of our audience, and concise interviewing and writing skills.
- We prefer at least two reliable and/or documented sources in each article. Sources must be identified and contact information for all sources must be provided with the completed article. Sources who wish to remain anonymous in the article must be named in the source list.
- We strongly prefer articles and essays with local relevancy.
- Word count for features typically ranges from 600-1,200. From time to time, we do publish longer features.
- If you wish to query the editor, please include a brief summary of your story idea, as well as a resume or biography and two to three writing samples, either as attachments or links.
- On spec submissions may be considered. Attachments should be sent in Microsoft Word or RTF format.
- The editor reserves the right to edit for clarity, length and style. If major revisions are necessary, you will be contacted.
- Accompanying photographs with written permissions are welcome (digital images are preferred).
- We use the Associated Press Stylebook and Webster's New World Dictionary.
- Please remember that we receive many more submissions than we can use. We are unable to respond personally to every query.
Submit articles/queries to:
Beth Shugg, Editor
Assignments are usually made three months before the date of the issue and are due around the sixth of the month two months prior to publication. For example, a story for the May issue would be assigned in February with a March 6 deadline. If you will be unable to meet an assigned deadline for any reason, you must contact the editor immediately to request an extension.
- Fees vary depending on the length and depth of the story. Original, feature-length manuscripts written on assignment generally pay $100-$300 depending on the word count and publication the content is being written for.
- Reprint rates vary.
- Writers are paid within 30 days of publication.
- In the event that the editorial team determines the content is unacceptable and cannot be revised to editorial satisfaction, Morris Media Network will pay a kill fee of 25 percent of the fee contracted for, and will have no further obligations to the contractor with respect to the work.