Holiday Mental Health Tips
Here are some tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics to help minimize stress so your family can enjoy the holidays:
- Try to keep household routines the same. Stick to usual sleep and mealtime schedules to reduce stress.
- Focus on one thing at a time. Stop and pay attention to what is happening at the moment. Try to savor the experience.
- Give to others. Make it an annual holiday tradition to share your time and talents with people who have less than you do.
- Be sensitive to others. Many children and adults experience a sense of loss, sadness or isolation during the holidays. Be sensitive to those who feel this way.
- Don’t overspend on gifts. Consider making one or two gifts instead of buying them.
- Spend time with your family. Go outdoors or play board games. Visit relatives, neighbors and friends.