Great First Foods for Baby
Vegetables and fruits make perfect first foods for your baby. These five picks are all easy to digest and pose little risk of allergic reaction.
1. Avocados - Just like bananas, avocados don't need to be cooked; simply mash them up. Filled with protein and Omega 3 fatty acids, they are one of the most nutritionally dense fruits.
2. Sweet potatoes - Another highly nutritious choice, sweet potatoes are high in vitamin A, potassium and fiber, and low on the glycemic index, despite their sweet taste. Baking them retains the most nutrients.
3. Carrots - These sweet roots are easier to digest than green vegetables, like beans. They are full of beta-carotene as well as vitamins and minerals. Best of all, carrots are easy to find year-round.
4. Squashes - Complex carbohydrates such as acorn or butternut squash are packed with vitamin A, folate and calcium. Roast the squash to retain the most nutrients and flavor.
5. Pears - The least acidic fruit, pears are easy on baby's digestion. Pears are also full of vitamins C and K and fiber. Don't introduce citrus fruits until your baby is 9-12 months old, since they are highly acidic.