Flexible, Lucrative Jobs, Allowance Apps & More
1. Medical director – $219,100
2. CEO – $199,300
3. Vice President of Marketing – $164,200
4. Chief Operations Officer (COO) – $152,800
5. Regional vice president – $149,500
6. Chief financial officer – $139,200
7. Government affairs director – $112,300
8. Director of business operations – $109,100
9. Senior business analyst – $92,000
10. Director of education – $68,300
Worried Working Parents
A study from Bright Horizons Family Solutions published in June explores what it means to be a working parent today. Here are some of the findings:
- 80 percent surveyed have two working parents in the home.
- Working parents spend more than half of their paid vacation time taking care of family responsibilities — especially during the summer months.
- 48 percent of working parents fear family responsibilities could get them fired.
- 63 percent of fathers and 68 percent of mothers are nervous to tell their supervisor about big family commitments.
Learn more at brighthorizons.com/about-us/child-care-news.
Having trouble keeping up with your kids’ finances — let alone yours? Here are three apps you can use to easily track and update their accounts.
- Allowance Manager. Track weekly allowance and set it up for automatic “deposits.” No money is exchanged with the free version, but the paid “Pro” version can be set up to work like a debit card. Available for Android devices and iPhone, iPad and iPod touch (using iOS 4.2 or later). allowancemanager.com.
- iAllowance. Schedule and deduct payments — when chores aren’t completed. You can track household chores. $3.99. Available for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch (using iOS 5.1.1 or later). jumpgapsoftware.com/iallowance.
- MoneyTrail. Track allowance and encourage kids to log expenses and cash exchanges. Available for $1.99 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch (using iOS 4.3 or later); $1.99 for Blackberry devices; and $.99 for Android devices. moneytrail.net/home/infooverviewmobile.
Ramshackle Glam: The New Mom’s Haphazard Guide to (Almost) Having It All by Jordan Reid (Running Press, $19), has been described by the Daily Beast as “a survival guide for those who don’t have a clue how to be domestic.” Pickup tips on storing baby gear, putting on makeup in 5 minutes flat, making wardrobe adjustments to complement the cleavage challenges that come with breast-feeding, helping pets adjust to a new baby and more. Reid, a Harvard University graduate who worked as an actress for more than a decade, launched ramshackleglam.com after the birth of her son in October 2011.
Top 5 Moms in Businesses
StartupNation, a resource for small business owners looking to start or grow their businesses, released its “2014 Top 100 Leading Moms in Business Winners” list in May. Mom-owned companies rounding out the top five were:
- Dressing Your Truth – dressingyourtruth.com
- Giveaway Bandit – giveawaybandit.com
- Carbon Three – carbonthree.com
- Ask Doctor G – askdoctorg.com
- Jeneration PR – jenerationpr.com
See the entire list at startupnation.com/leading-moms-in-business/WINNERS.php.