Crockpot Lentil Soup
A hearty and filling soup that is easy to make. Pairs great with rice, warm pita or crackers. This recipe can easily be converted to quick stovetop cooking if you desire.
- 1 cup lentils soaked
- 1-2 cup chopped Squash (any kind works - yellow, zucchini, butternut, acorn or any other). Parsnips also make a good substitution.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small to medium chopped onion
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- Bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- olive oil
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak lentils in water overnight or for a few hours. Rinse and drain water.
2. In a crockpot, add enough olive oil to cover bottom. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and bay leaf. Stir a few times and let the veggies cook for about 30 minutes on high.
3. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well.
4. Add all the remaining ingredients, except for salt and pepper, and mix well.
5. Cover and let cook on low heat for 4-5 hours, or 3-4 hours on high heat.
6. You can add more broth if you prefer a more liquid consistency.
7. Add salt and pepper.
8. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Photo provided by Preeti Gundecha.
Preeti Gundecha is a busy mom, wife and health enthusiast who has learned the importance of proper health and nutrition while trying to heal from a severe illness. She is a certified wellness and lifestyle coach, and accredited through the American Association of Drugless practitioners. Learn more about her here.