Celebrate With Top 10 Valentine's Day Children's Books
Valentine's Day brings flowers and chocolate, but why not a love of reading as well? With lots of kids looking forward to Feb. 14, this might just be the right time to interest them in some Valentine-themed books.
Not sure where to start finding the right one? The Brooke Jackman Foundation, a non-profit organization that promotes literacy, has come up a list of Top 10 Valentine's Day Children Books that it says will have kids clamoring to read. They run the range, from the silly to the sentimental:
- Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
- I Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti Shustak
- How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You? by Jane Yolen
- Porcupining A Prickly Love Story by Lisa Wheeler
- Love, Ruby Valentine by Laurie B. Friedman
- Where's My Valentine? (Yo Gabba Gabba! Series) by Tina Gallo
- A Giant Crush by Gennifer Choldenko
- The Ballad of Valentine by Alison Jackson
- Roses are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink by Diane deGroat
- Olive You!: And Other Valentine Knock-Knock Jokes You'll A-Door by Katy Hall and Lisa Eisenberg
Looking beyond Valentine's Day, you might want to check out children's books by Triangle-area authors. As Carolina Parent Associate Editor Beth Shuggs reveals, we have a number of children's authors living in the Triangle, from Hillsborough to Holly Springs and towns in between. She offers reviews of their books in Local Authors for Your Child's Bookshelf, and be sure to check her blog, Books, Bytes and Bits for a chance to win these books and more.
Kids will also have an an opportunity to meet one of the authors, Kelly Starling Lyons, on Feb. 25, from 1-4 p.m. at the Raleigh City Museum. Lyons wrote Ellen's Broom, a hardcover picture book for kids ages 5-8 that tells of life from the point of view of an African-American girl. After discovering in 1866 that the marriages of former slaves can be registered, Ellen finds a way to a way to celebrate her parents' right to be married legally and to keep their past alive. Get details of Lyons' upcoming visit in Triangle Communities Celebrate Black History Month.
Visit our Valentine's Day Guide to find more ideas for ways to celebrate, including a Buy-One Get-One Free meal deal for kissing on Valentine's Day!