Carolina Theatre Offers Durham Public School Students Free Tickets
“Black Violin,” set to perform at The Carolina Theatre is among shows that Durham Public School students can see for free.
Photo by Colin Brennan/Carolina Theatre
A trip to the theater can be a mesmerizing, inspiring experience for anyone, particularly for children, who have never enjoyed the magic of a live show. Now students in Durham Public Schools will be able to gain free admission to a variety of enchanting performances through a pilot program launched July 26 between The Carolina Theatre in Durham and the school system.
Funded through a Fox Family Foundation grant, the pilot program allows Durham Public Schools students to gain free tickets to 22 Arts Discovery Educational Series events scheduled during the historic downtown theater’s 2016-17 season. For years, the series has been a gateway for students to experience live theater and learn outside the classroom through paid admission.
Photo of a“Harriet Tubman & The Underground Railroad” performance courtesy of Carolina Theatre
How the Pilot Works
If you’re interested in this offer, make sure your child's teacher knows about the pilot programs. Durham Public Schools teachers interested in obtaining free tickets for their students can reserve 2016-17 Arts Discovery Educational Series tickets on a first-come, first-served basis through early registration forms they’ll receive Aug 5-26. Teachers can also complete forms online at carolinatheatre.org/education or drop off order forms at The Carolina Theatre box office (309 West Morgan St. Durham, North Carolina, 27701). Education Coordinator Rebeka Todd will be the point of contact for educators at 919-226-8879.
Photo of “The Song of Mulan" performance courtesy of Carolina Theatre
Non-Durham Public Schools educators may begin reserving paid tickets to these events starting Aug. 29. Durham Public Schools educators may continue to reserve free tickets through Sept. 15. Durham Public Schools educators may reserve tickets after Sept. 15, if seats for shows are still available.
Photo of “Pete The Cat" performance courtesy of Carolina Theatre
2016-17 Arts Discovery Shows
- “Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016 (9:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m.)
- “A Christmas Carol,” Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2016 (9:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m.)
- “Pete The Cat,” Thursday, Dec. 1, 2016 (9:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m.)
- “Holiday Songs: Music Around The World,” Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2016 (9:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m.)
- “Hypnotic Brass Ensemble,” Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017 (11:20 a.m.)
- “February One,” Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017 (9:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m.)
- “Harriet Tubman and The Underground Railroad,” Monday, Feb 27, 2017 (9:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m.)
- “The Song of Mulan,” Thursday, March 2, 2017 (9:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m.)
- “The Rainbow Fish,” Friday, March 17, 2017 (9:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m.)
- “The House at Pooh Corner,” Monday, March 20, 2017 (9:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m.)
- “Black Violin,” Thursday, March 23, 2017 (11:20 a.m.)
- “Jack’s Adventure in American History,” Tuesday, April 18, 2017 (9:50 a.m. and 11:20 a.m.)
For a description of each show, browse carolinatheatre.org/events/arts-discovery-series.