One Giant Leap Festival
July 20, 2019
11:00 AM until 04:00 PM
Commemorate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing with kids programs, a bungee jump station, demos, food trucks and much more.
- Bungee Jump Station and Apollo 11 Virtual Reality Lab (11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Bicentennial Plaza)
Travel to space and take “one giant leap for mankind” with an Apollo 11 virtual reality simulation and experience zero-gravity just like a real astronaut with a bungee jump station.
- The Day We Walked on the Moon Documentary (12 p.m. – 1 p.m., 2 p.m. – 3 p.m., Daniels Auditorium, Level 1)
Catch an exclusive viewing of the Smithsonian Channel documentary, which is being screened at 67 Smithsonian Institute Affiliate museums across the country. The documentary features special, remastered footage of the day humans stepped foot on the moon.
- Mission Patch Demos by AB Emblem (11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Bicentennial Plaza)
See a demonstration of the First Lunar Landing patch stitching.
- Orbit Earth Expo (11 a.m. – 11:25 a.m., 1:30 p.m. – 1:55 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. – 3:55 p.m., Daniels Auditorium, Level 1)
Kids can manipulate inflatable scale-sized models of planets to uncover stellar concepts like seasonal and lunar cycles, eclipses and the phases of the moon.
- Kids Programs (10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Bicentennial Plaza)
Enjoy hands-on fun with moon sand sensory bins, lunar dominoes and watercolor resists. Little astronauts can also create their own straw rockets, do some solar gazing and try their hand at space history trivia.
5 E. Edenton Street
We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of this information. However, you should always call ahead to confirm dates, times, location, and other information.