Baja Fish Taco Tortas With Smoky Cilantro Slaw
Next time you have a taco dinner night, try out this smoky twist on fish tacos with your family. Watch a highlight reel video of the contest that produced this recipe here.
2 cups shredded cabbage mix
2 tablespoons ranch dressing
1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
2 ripe avocados, peeled and pit removed
4 tablespoons salsa verde
1 pound cod
1 teaspoon cumin
4 torta or bolillo rolls, split in half
1. In a medium mixing bowl combine the shredded cabbage, ranch dressing, hot sauce, chopped cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir until the slaw is well mixed.
2. In a small bowl place the peeled avocado, salsa verde and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a fork, roughly mash and mix together.
3. Cut the lime in half. Take one of the halves and cut it into wedges to serve with the finished tort as.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. While the pan is heating sprinkle the cod with the cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. When the oil is hot, add the fish to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes. Flip the fish and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the fish flakes easily and is opaque. Remove the pan from the heat and squeeze the half of lime over the fish.
5. To assemble, place the halved torta rolls on each plate. Spread each of the torta bottom evenly with the avocado spread, divide the fish evenly between each and then top each with the slaw. Serve with lime wedges.
The recipe and photos were provided by Extended Stay America, which recently hosted a national recipe contest judged by the Food Network's Sunny Anderson.