14 Ways Wegmans Could Make Your Life Better
The Triangle's first approved Wegmans will be built in Chapel Hill
Wegmans is coming to Cary, Chapel Hill and Raleigh.
Photo courtesy of Wegmans
This story was updated Oct. 27, 2017.
In May 2016, we learned that Wegmans signed a letter of intent to build its first North Carolina location near Cary Towne Center mall. Then, news about a second Wegmans grocery store possibly coming to the Triangle in western Cary traveled faster than you can spread Wegman’s Organic Almond Butter on a freshly baked Wegman’s bagel. There is also a proposal to build a Wegmans in Raleigh off of Wake Forest Road between Six Forks Road and Interstate 440 (next to Trader Joe's).
The first approved Wegmans will be built in Chapel Hill, however. On Oct. 25, 2017, Chapel Hill's town council voted to allow a Wegmans to be built on the Performance AutoMall site near the Durham County line in Chapel Hill, according to an Oct. 26, 2017, News & Observer report.
If you’ve ever set foot in a Wegmans, you already know it’s a haven of heavenly goodness. Josef Brunner artisan meats, freshly brewed coffee and espresso, desserts to die for, a gourmet cheese shop, a Mediterranean olive bar, magnificent celebration cakes, fresh flower arrangements, endless candy dispensers ...
Going to Wegman’s is not an errand. It’s an EVENT.
I experienced Wegman's for the first time a few years ago in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, while spending Christmas with my husband's parents. Visiting Wegmans is one thing. Visiting Wegmans at Christmastime is quite another. I was there for 2 hours and could have stayed longer.
As final negotiations take place for building this gourmet grocery extravaganza on a 90-acre site in Cary across from Cary Town Center, let us count the ways I predict Wegmans will make your life better — and more glorious.
1. Beautiful fresh fruit for the anti-vegetable crowd.
2. The Cookie Shoppe!
3. Organic espressos and lattes holier than a Starbucks fix.
4. Mini-scones for mini mouths.
5. Cool wheels — and entertainment — for the kids.
6. Deli delights for school lunches.
7. Mouthwatering subs.
8. Cakes you’ll want to bury your face in.
9. Custom-made cupcakes for your daughter's fairy princess spring garden tea party.
10. Healthy foods that are so pretty, your kids may actually try them.
11. Delicious take-out pizza.
12. More room than an airplane hanger.
13. Custom-made flower arrangements for any occasion.
14. Skeeter Nut Free Snacks, of course!
Did we mention the Cookie Shoppe?
We'll stay on this story and let you know when more details are available. Share a comment below about your favorite Wegmans product or experience.
This article was first published Jan 19, 2016, and updated Oct. 27, 2017.